Our engineering culture
We have the freedom to be creative and flexible. We are empowered to make product and technology decisions and quickly build the best solutions. We lean heavily on automation, good test coverage, and continuous deployment. We encourage rotating to a new product every cycle, but we leave that choice to you. Our business and partner milestones are shared, and we attend any meetings that interest us. Intellectual curiosity and continuous learning are highly valued here, and we make time to help each other become better.
Who are we looking for
To be successful and happy in this role, you need to be able to think outside the box, come up with new experiments and approaches, and drive projects forward with limited oversight. You will find that the culture requires a love for your craft.
- You dive into new technologies. You want to be on top of the latest in web development. You respect and yet scorn the established stack, continually looking out for what can best allow you to solve the given problem at hand.
- You are independent and self-driven. At Tyemill, we are our own managers. While others will offer support and guidance, you will not have every task laid out for you. You are the type of person who thrives in this environment, innovating and progressing only because that is what you love.
- You care about the domain. We all love the code… sometimes too much. You are a person who wants to dig deep into the heart of finance, economics, healthcare, or bioinformatics. You not only want to find solutions through technology but understand what it would mean for a person using our applications, enabling you to develop even better solutions as we go.
- You understand ownership. You have a strong sense of accountability and the ability to think fast and work strategically with our partners and your team. You develop process where little exists and demonstrate flexibility to get the right things done. You encourage collaboration leading by example.
What you'll do in the first six months
- Become fluent in ALL the product domains.
- Solve at least one really hard scaling or data challenge.
- Build APIs, features, visual insights, and data analytics.
- Work across our entire stack.
- Advocate for, or teach best practices.
- Minimum of 3 years of industry experience.
- Commanding grasp of web development technologies.
- Exceptional ability to work anywhere in the technical stack.
- Advanced knowledge of architectural patterns of enterprise web applications (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Fluency in any backend server language, and expertise in relational databases and schema design.
- Strong analytical thinking, experienced with making product decisions based on data.
- Love for learning and mentoring.